ErgoPad® work for safety shoes
More productivity, less time out of work!
The ErgoPad work for safety shoes from the synthetics sector has been specially designed for protective and safety work shoes. Thanks to the "active core", the orthopedic foot orthosis works biodynamically, i.e. it guides the foot optimally from the heel to the toes and distributes body weight across the entire foot. Pressure is noticeably relieved on both the feet and the entire body – especially if you are on your feet for long periods of time.
- Biodynamic gait pattern, thanks to the active core, particularly relieves pressure in activities that involve long periods of standing or walking.
The new active core combines rigid and soft orthotic components. The soft materials cushion the step, while the rigid materials guide and support the foot where needed. The special shape of the core encourages the correct dynamic heel-to-toe movement of the foot. Pressure is relieved, both on the feet and on the entire musculoskeletal and locomotor system.
Designs and uses
The foot orthosis is optimally designed to meet the requirements of everyday working life. The effect of the orthopedic orthosis is particularly noticeable when spending long periods standing on hard surfaces or when carrying heavy loads. The orthotic system matches the fit of protective and safety work shoes. It can easily be fitted into these shoes, provided that they have a removable sole with a minimum thickness of 3-5 mm.
The Bauerfeind orthotic system involves working with a model. It is therefore only available from a medical retailer – an orthotist. The orthotist will take all the necessary measurements of the foot and establish the status of the foot using digital measurement technology, foam imprint/ink imprint or physical examination. Following this measurement process, the orthotist will then modify the model to produce a custom-made foot orthosis, taking the relevant footwear into account. Thanks to a foot orthosis of this kind, a standard shoe can be made into a customized shoe.
- Synthetic foot orthosis made of EVA, TPE and PE
- Patented injection-molded orthotic core ("active core") with both rigid and soft synthetic components
Construction of the foot orthosis
1) Microfiber/textile top cover/Long-sole cushion layer (35° Shore A) *:
This top cover provides a comfortable contact layer with the foot. It is treated with graphite and is therefore conductive. This layer, made of EVA, lies on top of the active core and is also conductive.
2) Soft components – thermoplastic elastomer (TPE) *:
This forms part of the active core and, together with the cushion layer, has a cushioning effect. The soft, flexible material in both the calcaneal and outer metatarsal areas of the foot orthosis reduce the pressure load in these sensitive zones.
3) Rigid components – high-molecular polyethylene (PE):
Support the foot arches and improve hindfoot stability, thanks to the rigid calcaneal cup. The stable, cup-shaped calcaneal border centralizes the heel, thereby stabilizing the entire hindfoot when a step is taken. Flexible springs encourage the dynamic heel-to-toe movement underneath the MTP-joints.
* inclusive of conductive bonding
- Differences in leg length of up to 1 cm can be evened out with the foot orthosis.
- Pronation and supination wedges (up to 4 mm) can be integrated.
- Suitable for the everyday work environment, when protective and safety work shoes must be worn, when standing for long periods of time or carrying heavy loads.
- High-quality and durable materials mean that the foot orthosis remains serviceable even after prolonged use – but this does fundamentally depend on the load.
- We recommend that the functional properties should be checked regularly (after a maximum of 6 months)
- Wipe the surfaces using a mild cleanser and a sponge (except leather top covers)
- Not machine-washable
- Do not expose to direct heat (heater, direct sunlight)
Modification instructions - Specially for medical retailers
- Must be ground (lateral orthotic shape and front part of the core), easy to grind (grinding belt, grain 40-100, polishing brush on the blade disk)
- Good for bonding, using design-tested adhesive and construction materials
- Partial and complete thermoplastic molding possible (hot air blower or oven, 120°C, partially for approx. 20 sec., completely for 2-3 min.)
For testing the ESD conductivity of the foot orthosis unit, we recommend the Eltex test device.
- Flat foot/splayfoot
- Pes valgus
- Mild and moderate severity of hollow foot
- Knee joint/back pain
1 Depending on the severity of the foot, knee or back deformity.
- Support for flattened foot arches, to relieve pressure on the joints and correction of misalignments of the locomotor system
- Frequently also alleviates knee and back pain
- Biodynamic gait pattern
You can find information here about how to keep your feet in top condition!
When selecting your foot orthosis, think about the area of your life in which you wish to use it. The type of foot orthosis depends on the footwear worn. The shoe and the foot orthosis must fit together.